Whether you have just bought your first iPhone, or you’ve been using Apple for years, most people have yet to discover all of the phone’s hidden features. We have compiled a list of the top 10 iPhone features and hacks to save time and make your everyday life easier.
1. Running slow
If your iPhone is starting to slow down, this can be potentially fixed by deleting the app memory. To clear the app memory and speed up your device, just follow the steps below:
- Hold down the sleep button
- Wait until the ‘slide to power off’ slider appears
- Hold down the home button until the home screen comes back
2. Speak up
One of the most useful iPhone features is having Siri read out highlighted text messages. To enable this feature:
- Go to Settings App > General > Accessibility > Speech > toggle on Speak Selection
Once the ‘Speak Selection’ has been enabled, when you highlight the text, a new option will appear to read out the content.
3. Edit like a pro
You have just taken a lovely photo of the family, but your husband’s face is over exposed or the camera doesn’t do your daughter’s fabulous red dress justice. This is where the iPhone photos app can make a real difference. Simply click on the image and then tap the slider icon.
In this app you have the ability to crop, rotate, add filters and adjust pretty much anything from lighting to colour balance. That family picture is now worth framing!
4. Sorry, I can’t talk right now
For the situations you are unable to answer a call, it can be useful to quickly send a text message to explain why you can’t pick up. Depending on which version of iOS your phone is operating on, you can:
Swipe up on the phone icon that appears next to the unlock slider and tap ‘Respond With Text’, or tap the button called ‘Message’ above the ‘Slide To Answer’ slider. There will be 3 pre-written options including:
- Sorry, I can’t talk right now
- I’m on my way
- Can I call you later?
If these messages don’t work for you, you can create new prepared messages:
- Go to Settings > Phone > Respond with text
Simply replace one or all of the automatic responses with your own personalised message.
5. Good vibrations
Even when your phone is on silent mode, it’s nice to know who’s calling. The iPhone allows users to assign a customised ring/text tone to each contact as well as a unique vibration pattern. To achieve this, follow these steps:
- Open Phone or Contacts.
- Select a contact.
- Click the Edit button.
- Scroll down to vibration field (below ringtone field).
- Tap vibration and you will find an assortment of vibration patterns.
- If you would like to create your own vibration pattern, scroll down to ‘Create New Vibration”.
- Tap on the screen to design your own rhythm.
- Play back the vibration and once you’re satisfied, save to set the pattern.
6. Put that light out
It could be first thing you do in the morning or just before bed, you just don’t want a bright phone screen dazzling in your face. If the screen’s lowest brightness setting is still too bright, you can dim the light even further by following these steps:
- Go to Settings > Accessibility > Zoom > Zoom Filter > Low Light
By triple-pressing the power button, you can quickly alternate between the normal and dimmed setting. For quick access, include the low light filter in the accessibility shortcut menu in:
- Settings > Accessibility> Accessibly > Shortcut
7. What’s that song?
If you are desperately trying to remember a song but can only remember a few of the lyrics, iPhones can help! Simply type the song lyrics into the music app or iTunes and the song will appear if it’s recognised.
8. Clinging onto dear life
The next of our top 10 iPhone features is about battery life. It’s always a good idea to turn off some settings when your iPhone’s battery is running low. Switching off the following settings will help your phone last long and you’ll still be able to receive calls, texts and go online with EDGE connection. Turn off the following settings:
- Settings > Wi-Fi > Off
- Settings > Bluetooth > Off
- Settings > Privacy > Location Services > Off
- Settings > General > Cellular > Enable 3G > Off
- Settings > General > Cellular > Enable LTE > Off
- Settings > Sounds > Vibrate on Ring & Silent > Off
- Settings > Brightness & Wallpaper > Auto-Brightness > Off
- Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars > Fetch New Data > Off
9. Hot to trot
If you are somewhere without Wi-Fi and your family or friends are desperate to connect, you can use your iPhone as a Wi-Fi hotspot (only if you have this included in your wireless plan).
This can be particularly helpful if you’re trying to work in a cafe with colleagues or waiting in the airport with your kids. To turn on your hotspot, simply:
- Open Settings.
- Tap Personal Hotspot.
- Choose Family Sharing.
- Select the family member or friend you would like to share with.
- Choose automatic or ask for approval.
- If that family member sees your phone as a hotspot, they can connect either automatically or once you approve them.
10. DIY Buddy
If you’re doing a little bit of DIY, from building shelves to putting up picture frames, the iOS built-in levelling tool is your new best friend. This feature uses the phone’s gyroscope to help position an object perfectly straight. Launch the compass, swipe right to reveal level.
And there you have it – our top 10 iPhone features that you probably didn’t know about! If you liked this blog, why not check out our top Apple notes tips and tricks next?
If you have any questions or issues with your iPhone, The Infinite Loop can help! With over 50 years of experience in Apple products, we’ve seen it all. Get in touch today!